Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon

Wynnsday does not create quite the excitement it used to, but for me, the Black Label Cabernet remains an iconic wine for a couple of reasons. I like the fact the label has been around pretty much unchanged for 50 odd years. I also like the fact that this wine at its price point is made for long term cellaring. Not many wines can do this at that level.

Last night I had the 1998 Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon. 1998 was a stellar vintage in South Australia and this wine has certainly gone the distance. It displays the classic redcurrant blackberry cassis profile of Cabernet, with earthy flavours now coming into the picture. Its mouthfeel is not as full as I would have liked, and the wine has dried out a bit, but it still shows good length and fruit on the finish. Good value for money.

Score: 92/+

No comments: