Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chateau Pontet-Canet

I am not a big collector of Bordeaux wines, but I buy occasionally from the warmer vintages. The 2009 vintage is being hiped up a lot, as you would expect, but I am a bit sceptical.

Chateau Pontet-Canet has received glowing reviews, next to the first growth wines. As I have some 2005 Chateau Pontet-Canet, I thought I try it as a test.

This wine is still very closed, after five years. It is powerful, nonetheless. The colour is dark, with red currant and blackberry flavours. The mid-palate delivers a full Merlot-like feel, although the wine is predominantly Cabernet, and the finish is polished with quite fine tannins.

Clearly nothing wrong with this wine, but it did not grab me. The flavours are not as complex as I expected at this stage and it is still quite reserved.

I will hold off on the 2009 purchase, because if I can drink the wine only in 20-30 years, I may not be around any more.

Score: 95/0


No comments: