Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Château Clos de Boüard Bordeaux

 With ever increasing prices of wines from the best European regions, one is tempted to try new producers who still need to establish their brand. Obviously one needs to be selective. When I came across a new wine from a co-owner of Château Angélus, Coralie de Boüard, I thought this is worth trying, given she knows how top class wine is produced. This is my experience with the 2016 Château Clos de Boüard Bordeaux from the mountain area of Saint-Emilion.


So this is a wine at 15% alcohol. It had to happen in Bordeaux. This has not been a pretty experience. You smell the alcohol already on the nose. The wine is dark fruited with earthy notes. However, the alcohol kills the fruit quality. The wine is dense and ripe with firm tannins, but the alcohol kills these, too.

This was really unpleasant. Only the second time in my life did I add water to  wine to achieve some dilution. Not surprisingly, this did not help the taste.

Score: 76/---

PS: I woke up with a headache.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the worst defects in wine has to be elevated abv doesn’t it?
For me, it beats taint comfortably.

Alontin said...

It really depends on the fruit weight. Some well made Shiraz in South Australia can take it, but mostly it is a serious turn-off