Friday, January 15, 2010

Aurora Vineyard Pinot Noir

A good way of judging a new producer is to drink a wine which is at least seven years old. I managed to get a bottle of the 2002 Aurora Vineyard Pinot Noir, which I believe was their first year under their own label.

The cherry fruit of this wine has moved into the background, but the structure is holding up well, supported, I believe, by the minerality and the soft tannins on the finish. The secondary, in particular earthy flavours dominate now, but they are not dull. The wine is smooth and still shows some acidity.

As the vineyard ages, these flavours will probably become more complex and differentiated, but there is the start of some good terroir based wine here. I have commented on this new producer before, and this bottle confirms to me the promise this wine holds. Highly recommended!

Score: 94/++

No comments: