Thursday, July 2, 2020

Cullen Kevin John Chardonnay

Most of the times, wine reviewers converge, and while there are differences in scores, praise or otherwise is similar. But then there are exceptions. And if you are an independent reviewer (such as me), you must be prepared to swim against the tide.

I have not tasted every vintage of the highly acclaimed Cullen Kevin John Chardonnay, but what I have tasted, has left me fairly cold. This continues with the 2017 Cullen Kevin John Chardonnay. 


This wine is really overvalued, in my opinion. Is it the aura of Vanya Cullen or the lofty (in an Australian context) price point? The flavours are dominated by white and yellow peach. There is mild citrus and grapefruit, and the oak presence is felt as a nutty character. This oak makes the wine a bit broad in the mouth. Higher acidity would have been beneficial. Having said this, the finish is long and smooth, and satisfying.

To get a 95+ rating, the wine needed to be more layered and have some sort of x-factor. I find none of this. Therefore

Score: 93/+ 

No comments: