Sunday, April 28, 2019

Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon

I am not showing a picture of this bottle. The label has not changed for 60+ years. And good on them for that.

However, the review of this 2015 Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon will be anything but. This is quite a lean (and mean) wine. The typically famous generous Coonawarra fruit is very subdued in this bottle. The flavour here is of vinegar, with some muddy notes accompanying. There is also a sugary flavour on the palate.

This has me puzzled. Has the fermentation not completed? But why then are the fruit flavours almost non existent? I had a close look at the screw cap, and could not detect any leaks.

I poured out most of the bottle.

Score: 78/---

2 comments:

tonym said...

undoubtedly a bad bottle, may be heat affected.

Alontin said...

It is possible the bottle was heat affected (not in my ownership). I opened another bottle (I have 4), and it was better. However, it still lacked the generosity of fruit I would expect from a good vintage in Coonawarra. This is quite a lean wine, and I still find it a little sugary.