Friday, April 9, 2010

Spinifex - Revisited

My review of the latest Spinifex releases on 13 March was quite positive. I had an opportunity to taste these wines again yesterday and came away even more impressed.

The 2008 Spinifex Taureau impressed me even more this time. It is the best Australian Tempranillo based wine I have tasted. I am not quite sure about the composition, but it is 60-70% Tempranillo, a couple of other varieties from Northern Spain and maybe 10% Cabernet. Peter Schell tells me he forgets these percentages. When the blend is right, he moves on to the next one. The fruit in this wine, redcurrant and cherry, is now more prominent than a month ago, and the finish very fresh and satisfying. I would now score the wine 93/++.

I said I was surprised Peter Schell managed to make an unblended wine with the 2008 Spinifex Bete Noir. Well, this straight Shiraz is a blend of fruit from Gomersal and Eden Valley, I am relaxed now. There is quite a bit of spice in this wine. Otherwise my notes are unchanged.

I liked the 2008 Spinifex La Maline much more this time than a month ago. It has a lively, plummy taste with excellent texture and a silky, long finish. My score now is 94/++.

No comments: