Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wirra Wirra RSW Shiraz

I have reviewed this wine before, but while drinking this bottle of the 2002 Wirra Wirra RSW Shiraz, I feel I should make some more comments. I buy wine from McLaren Vale only in what I consider to be strong vintages, and Wirra Wirra has been a good representative of what McLaren Vale produces. The RSW is the winery's top Shiraz. This seems to justify lashings of new oak.

As this wine matures, the fruit moves into the background and the vanilla of what I gather is predominantly American oak takes over. You might as well jump into a barrel, sniff for a while and then inhale some alcohol for good measure. This is an absolute shame, as underlying this treatment is some yummy plummy fruit. This is poor wine making! I also have some of their 2004 RSW. If this is not a major improvement on the 2002, Wirra Wirra will be off my list.

Score: 86/---

2 comments:

Chris Plummer said...

Completely agree Alontin. Wirra Wirra hasn't exactly been my favourite McLaren Vale producer lately either

Anonymous said...

You are, no doubt, aware that others take a different view. In particular, James Halliday rated this wine 97pts and gave it his top Australian shiraz for 2006.