Saturday, July 18, 2009

Yarra Yering Dry Red No.1

My wine cellar is what you would call a tasting cellar. I like to collect a lot of different wines, therefore I often buy only 4-6 bottles. This has the disadvantage that occasionally I drink wine a little early and when it is at its peak, I have very little left.

Encouraged by the Katnook experience, I am opening my last bottle of the 1998 Yarra Yering Dry Red No. 1, a Cabernet based blend. I have only bought this wine from the best vintages, because I find the fruit concentration sometimes lacking.

Now, this bottle is brilliant. The wine is so balanced and elegant that trying to report individual flavours would not do this wine justice. The body is quite big for a Yarra Valley Cabernet, yet it is still quite a feminine wine, very harmoneous with a soothing and caressing finish. Perfect texture, absolutely nothing missing in this wine.

My last bottle, arrgh!


No comments: