Saturday, June 13, 2009

Curly Flat Pinot Noir

I am having the 2006 Curly Flat Pinot Noir on the same day as the Te Matas. Now this is a wine to rave about. It has predominantly red cherry fruit, quite full, and very silky tannins. The wine has great balance, similar to the good Martinborough Pinots, with good length. Maybe a little too much fruit and not enough savoury character, but this may change over time.

Some months back, I pronounced Mornington the number one Pinot region in Australia and someone commented: What about Macedon? Well, I wasn't sure it is a great region if you have one great producer, namely Bindi. Now I am happy to admit we have two in this area, with Curly Flat joining the top ranks.

3 comments:

Baz said...

I tried the 05 Curly Flat PN late last year I thought it was a great Pinot but required time. I have yet to try the 06 but The Queen speaks very highly of it.

Alontin said...

The Queen?

Baz said...

Jancis Robinson...