Friday, September 29, 2023

Chateau Tanunda

 The last time I drank Chateau Tanunda wines was about ten years ago in preparation for my book. I had not been impressed. In fact, I found it totally puzzling how this winery could collect so many medals in big shows overseas. I thought the grounds of the Chateau are the highlight - and they are really magnificent.

Recently, I had an opportunity to taste three wines from their bamboozling range. The first wine, from the Terroirs of the Barossa series was the 2019 Chateau Tanunda Ebenezer Shiraz. This is a full-bodied wine, quite ripe, the ironstone soil reflected on the palate. This is a red fruited wine, quite tannic, only just within the envelop of what I regard as an acceptable expression of dry red wine. This wine is very concentrated and could certainly have been more elegant (90/0 points).

The other two wines were from Bethany, which features black biscay soil, not really ideal for growing quality wine. (I note Bethany Wines is up for sale.) The 2019 50 Year Old Vines Shiraz is very dark. Blackberry and chocolate flavours are matched with coarse tannins. Again, a concentrated wine lacking elegance (90/0 points).

The last wine was the 2019 50 Year Old Vines Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine was overripe, oaky, and quite sweet. The chocolate flavours could not match this impression. The wine had a coarse finish (86/-- points).

I am happy not to taste Chateau Tanunda for another ten years.  

No comments: