Sunday, April 12, 2020

Valenciso Laderas De Cabama

Valenciso is one of my favorite Rioja producers. It is a small operation lead by the highly experienced Luis Valentin and Carmen Enciso. I like it, because all the wines have precision and finesse, something not often associated with Rioja, frankly.


The 2014 Valenciso Laderas de Cabama is a single vineyard wine from 35 year old Tempranillo vines. The soil is the typical clay and limestone mix of Rioja Alta. The wine has been matured in French oak, followed by some time in concrete tanks. It is somewhat of an entry level wine, but you would not know it.

This is a fragrant and aromatic wine, due to the maturing in concrete, I think. Red and black cherry fruit and sandalwood deliver a smooth and velvety mouthfeel. There is not as much intensity as in the other Valenciso red wines, instead you get freshness, purity and finesse. Chalky tannins lead to a medium to long finish. 

This wine is utterly delicious right now. Great value for money. Not easy to find, but I highly recommend it.

Score: 94/+++

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have read your article; it is very informative and helpful for me. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it. https://wevino.store/