Monday, September 2, 2019

Penfolds St Henri

The 2015 Penfolds St Henri Shiraz is an unusual wine for this label. It is usually the wine which people pick who prefer fruit over oak, as it is matured in larger used oak casks. However, 2015 was warm, and this is a dense and wiry wine. Blackberry and blood plum flavours are intense and concentrated leading to a big, slightly fat mouthfeel. The tannins are firm and the finish is long, but a bit hot.

This is the biggest St Henri I ever tried. You need to cellar this wine for at least 10 years to get the benefit of better integration of its components and some mellowing of the tannins.

Score: 93/+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Thomas,
I became, a fan of St Henri, with the purchase of the 2010 vintage. In 2012 I again went long. The complexity of these vintages was something that really grabbed me ( in their primary stages of course) the 2012 in particular. Layers of complexity is now something that I identify and expect in a young St.Henri. Alas, I've been a little disappointed with more recent vintages of this wine, and have chosen to pass on all vintages since the 2012, including 2015. I think your review suggests my current thinking. They're certainly quality wines, but for $80 retail, I expect a wine to deliver an "oh my god" moment!!
I'm uncertain how they will evolve as I've never had a 20-25 year old St.Henri, so I might report back in 15-20 years?
Thanks
Colin