Monday, July 22, 2019

Mount Mary Pinot Noir


When the 2013 Mount Mary Pinot Noir came on the market, it was hyped a lot, and there was some scramble to get any bottles. I was pleased I was able to secure some. Yesterday, I opened the first of these bottles.

I find this an unusual Pinot Noir. It is big fruited, but not in the dark fruit spectrum of, say, Central Otago. It brims with red cherry fruit on the front palate. It is not sweet and rather elegant, with silky tannins in a support role. Unfortunately, the wine cannot sustain the attack on the front palate. Therefore the structural profile is the opposite of a Burgundy, which is expansive on the finish. This Mount Mary says it all upfront. I guess, this often works with wine judges.

This is still a very good wine, but not my preferred style. If you have any bottles, I suggest to keep them a few more years. The wine still tastes very young and should develop more complexity.

Score: 94/+

PS: The cork closure was perfect 

No comments: