Sunday, March 6, 2011

Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz

I went for a new strategy tasting the new Penfolds Bin releases this year. In the previous years, I found these hard to taste. They were rough and oaky, clearly made for the longer haul. So I thought this year I try to find some bottles which are still open on day two. I managed to track down most of the new release wines and found them much more agreeable. I am not sure if it is due to this fact, or different wine treatment.

These wines are widely commented on, therefore I don't want to add to this, other than reporting on the 2008 Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz. This win is in its 50th vintage, and it is a good one. Full-bodied, the wine has a palate of blackberry and dried plum fruit, quite complex for the price point. It is much smoother than in previous years - a good middle of the road Barossa Shiraz.

What I find hilarious is the little 'R' above the Kalimna word. This means the name is trademarked. First of all, most of the fruit does not even come from Kalimna, therefore it could be regarded as misleading. Secondly, Kalimna is a name shown on Barossa maps before the trademark existed. This should not be allowed. How about I trademark Sydney or Melbourne? An intellectual property lawyer friend of mine has said this has no legs.

If you make a wine from the area, I suggest you call it Kalimna.

Score: 89/+

No comments: