Sunday, May 24, 2009

Herzog

This is the second time I tasted the Herzog range in the last couple of years. I am afraid, my judgement this time around is not much more positive for these overpriced wines than the first time.

We have in Hans Herzog a winemaker who's objective it is to make Bordeaux (or European) wines in Marlborough and that to an extreme extent: in other words, texture and structure at the expense of fruit. I have nothing against well structured wines, but why ignore the full fruit aromas which the extensive sunshine gives the vines in the Southern Hemisphere?

His 2006 Pinot Noir is very savoury and fruit backward, quite closed at the moment, but the wine has good length. The 2006 Montepulciano has a dark colour, but the palate is a bit shallow, and the wine is very acidic. My pick of the line-up would have been the 2007 Pinot Gris, made in the french style. It has strong peach and pear flavours, but is fresh and finishes crisply.

No comments: