Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mount Mary Quintet

Towards the end of the year, I often check what 'needs to be drunk' from the cellar. Last night I had my last bottle of 1991 Mount Mary Cabernet Quintet.

I have reviewed this wine a few months ago, but it is worth while to mention it again because of bottle variation. While I liked the wine then, I thought it was past its peak. This bottle yesterday was in perfect condition. The wine was fantastic. Harmonious, very elegant, still fresh - a very feminine wine, great complexity of fruit and earthy flavours.

The iconic status for this wine is truly deserved. Now I am out of the 1991s. My next set is from 2000. From this experience, I can still wait a while before I touch it. From how many Australian wines could you say this?

Score: 97/+++

Why not 100? It could have had a bigger mouthfeel and more length, but...see above

No comments: