Monday, December 28, 2009

The 2009 that was

Like for most of you, I suspect, my palate and interest changes over time. For a while, I was quite interested in fruit concentration. You may favour a particular variety. Remember the ABC (anything but Chardonnay) movement? Then I got excited about tannins. They had to be silky, not coarse.

In 2009, my main interest was in structure. Why? I drank too many big or ripe wines which after some years have become flat and really unpleasant to drink. I like wines with great mouthfeel and length.

To this end, I rediscovered Cabernet Sauvignons from Coonawarra and Margaret River, which have been holding up really well. Pinot Noirs from Macedon, Mornington and Gippsland have been really special. And if it is Shiraz, my favorites have probably come from Dalwhinnie, Henschke and Torbreck.

As to white wines, it was the year of the Chardonnay come-back. This variety can express so many different things and winemakers all over the country have done great things with it.

I probably left some things worth mentioning out, but again, let me know your thoughts.

No comments: