Monday, March 2, 2009

NSW Wine Week

I visited wine stands very selectively. In particular, I wanted to try some of the white wines from Orange, which I had missed at the Sydney Wine Show. Overall, the quality has improved a lot. In particular I enjoyed the 2008 Angullong Sauvignon Blanc. It is quite acidic, and maybe a bit sharp for some, but has lovely freshness. The 2008 Logan Sauvignon Blanc is a little smoother. Their Gewuerztraminer is clean and fresh with the obvious spice, but somewhat bland. I also enjoyed the 2008 Climbing Chardonnay, which has appealing citrus fruit, and the 2006 Phillip Shaw #11 Chardonnay. This wine tastes of citrus and apple, is quite smooth, even elegant and has a dry finish.

I have never liked the Semillons of Audrey Wilkinson which often get praised. This time they offered a 2001 Reserve Semillon. Given its age, I expected a honeyed, smooth wine. Instead, it did not show much fruit, had a gap in the mid palate and a briar finish.

I do like the wines from Lerida Estate, Canberra. The Pinot Gris had too much sweetness for my taste, but lovely lychees flavours. The 2006 Chardonnay had a similar profile to Shaw's wine and was very agreeable. There was also a 2006 Merlot/Cabernet Franc. It showed a lot of upfront fruit, mainly raspberry and fruitcake. Simple, but enjoyable to drink.

No comments: