Sunday, March 25, 2012

Poll Results

I have been involved with statistics for decades in one form or another, and one of the things that has always amazed me is how results based on small numbers remain unchanged when the sample size is increased. I am a bit disappointed with the response rate re my last poll, given the numbers of viewers I now have, but the results are remarkably consistent with national statistics.

Most of you drink some imported wine, and 40% of you have been drinking more imported wine. It is interesting to see why. Basically, you are looking for new experiences and new varieties, I suspect mainly Italian and Spanish varieties. This explains why local producers have started to plant these as well. It will take many years, before the local quality will match the European wines. However, in some cases, this is achieved today.

Luckily for the local industry, quality concerns or price concerns are not major driving factors, although imported wines to Australia have become cheaper as a result of the strong Australian dollar.What we are looking for is variety and new experiences.

No comments: