Friday, April 22, 2011

Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon

I like to drink mature wines because of their added complexity, but often in Australia, the experience is not so good, as maturing wines get out of balance. Your safest bet would be a Cabernet Sauvignon from WA.

Therefore I was confident to open this 2001 Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon, under screwcap by the way. I was not disappointed. 2001 was a pretty good vintage at Margaret River, and this wine delivers a beautiful ripe and rich fruit set of blackcurrant and mulberry. The wine is fresh and very smooth and silky. All components are balanced elegantly and velvety tannins lead to a seamless finish.

The only slight flaw: the mouthfeel was a bit fruity. I would have liked a bit more tannin and acidity on the palate. This is only a minor complaint, though, and I will be looking forward to drinking the rest of my case over the next few years.

Score: 95/++

No comments: