Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Rippon Sauvignon Blanc

I do not review many Sauvignon Blancs here, but then, this is a New Zealand one with a cork closure. This is making a statement. Let us investigate.


The cork may suggest this 2018 Rippon Sauvignon Blanc is closer to a French example - and 40% of the juice has been matured in used French barrels. But on the palate, this is unmistakably New Zealand. Gooseberry hits the front palate. There is more to it, though. Passionfruit, citrus, and green apple add to complexity. This wine is not as grassy as some. 

However, as I drink a couple of glasses, I get very confused. I encounter some green elements, but also some sweetness. There is an element of creaminess on the finish, but also some harshness. I do not get this wine. What does it stand for?

Score: 89/-

1 comment:

Bayfields Weekly Specials said...

There are many flavors of Liquor. Such a nice way you describe this Thomas. Nice to read, Scarborough chardonnay is one of the best which I especially like the most. Keep sharing such nice blog. Thanx Thomas. Cheers.......