Thursday, April 4, 2024

Petaluma Evans Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot

 It has been a long while since I had a Petaluma bottle. This is strange, given it is such an iconic label. And I never had an Evans Vineyard wine. So I was looking forward to this 2016 Petaluma Evans Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot. 


The wine is concentrated on the palate, with blackcurrent and mocca flavours delivering a predominantly savoury sensation in the mouth. The Merlot component is weaved well into the Cabernet Sauvignon, thereby avoiding the typical mid palate hole of a pure Cabernet Sauvignon.

The tannins are dry and firm. This wine is about structure. I wish it was matched by elegance. However, my mouth felt challenged rather than soothed, before the finish hits hard.

The wine tastes like old-fashioned winemaking.

Score: 92/0

 

No comments: