Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Main Ridge Merlot

In the quest to find excellent Australian Merlot, I tried a 2016 Main Ridge Merlot a couple of days ago. Merlot is a very small side project of this legendary Pinot Noir pioneer.


This wine delivers pretty fruit on the palate, red plum and mulberry with decent acidity in support. But the structure of this wine is not great. The wine is round in the mouth, rather than long, with a short finish. In the end, this is a pretty quaffer.

The search for outstanding Australian Merlot continues.

Score: 88/0

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alontin, I had a bottle of 2016 Cork Cutters Merlot (by Anton Von Klupper) over the weekend. This was an unexpected gem. Lovely and bright still, good fruit with red berries and licoricey hints, sandy tannins with satisfying grip drawing you back for more and a good finish making it a joy to drink. My main critique was that lacked mid palate. I encourage you to keep an eye out for a bottle to put in the mix for a good Aus Merlot.

Alontin said...

Thank you for your comment. I struggle to find good Merlot from Australia. I have not come across this wine, but Petaluma's Merlot from the Adelaide Hills is one of the best. So I will try this some time.