Saturday, January 1, 2011

Bindi Block 5 Pinot Noir

How much does the expectation of drinking a particular wine creep into its evaluation, either as a reinforcement (this cannot be bad) or as a hurdle to overcome (this should be brilliant)? I was thinking this, as I was drinking the 2007 Bindi Block 5 Pinot Noir to see out the old year.

This wine shot to the top of Australian Pinot Noirs by reputation in just a few years. The wine I was having was fine, but not exceptional. It tasted somewhat fruity and did not have the linear purity I was expecting. The wine was not bad, and it was certainly not a fruit bomb, but it lacked overall structure. There was some silkiness in the tannins, which provided a pleasant finish, but I was disappointed with what is Bindi's top wine, even taking account of the not so great 2007 vintage.

Score: 91/0

No comments: