Friday, July 2, 2010

Chateau Malescot St. Exupery

I made a second attempt to identify candidates for 2009 Bordeaux en primeur by drinking a bottle of the 2005 Chateau Malescot St. Exupery. This wine was brilliant.

The nose is quite floral, and the wine feminine, as you would expect from the Margaux area. The wine impresses with its purity. It is not at all whimsical, but has a beautiful mouthfeel with its precision.

This wine is not as big as the Pontet-Canet I had a few days ago, but more approachable and more interesting at this stage. The texture is beautiful and the wine finishes with silky tannins. It will improve its complexity for a number of years.

Score: 96/++

2 comments:

Sean Mitchell said...

Good note. I haven't seen this wine around much in Australia, and I'm always on the look out for good 2005s. Suspect it wasn't cheap though!

Cheers
Sean

Alontin said...

Thank you, Sean. I bought it en primeur, so it wasn't too bad, maybe $120 per bottle. The 2009 vintage is offered by Prince Wine Store, Ultimo, International Fine Wines, probably others. I thought the 2005 was quite exceptional, and the 2009 has good reviews, too.