Monday, January 18, 2010

Penfolds 707 Cabernet Sauvignon

The 1998 Penfolds 707 Cabernet Sauvignon is without question a remarkable and outstanding wine.

It is still drinking extremely young, in fact I will keep my remaining bottles for five years, I think. The wine has a monumental structure. Incredibly deep fruit flavours of blackcurrant and black cherry are matched by new oak and quite broad tannins. The length of the wine is quite amazing, more than any other Australian Cabernet I have ever tasted. There is no letting off on the mid palate.

The question I have is, is this a varietal Cabernet Sauvignon? There is not really anything like it. Bordeaux wines are not as big and muscular, American wines are sweeter, and Coonawarra and Margaret River are generally leaner and more elegant. So, it is hard to say. This wine is quite unique. It is well structured, very big and long lasting, but maybe a little too much of everything for me.

Score: 97/0

No comments: