Thursday, August 13, 2009

Some changes to this blog

As this is my 25oth post, I thought I might introduce a couple of changes for the future

1) I have resisted ratings so far, because a lot of complexity is taken out of the wine if it is reduced to a point score. My main aim was to describe different characteristics and for people to focus on this. However, ratings are a fact of life, and I have now found a way of displaying them in a more satisfying way. I will use a 100 point scale (which is in reality a 20 point scale) to assess the wine in an objective manner (from my point of view). Then I will use up to three minuses or plusses to indicate how much I like the wine. For example:
- in Shiraz, I like fruit concentration, elegance and silky tannins
- in Cabernet, I like structure, seamless oak integration and long finish
- in Pinot Noir, I like mouthfeel, silky tannins and a long fan
- in Chardonnay, I do not like butterscotch nor too much oak
- in Riesling, I like them dry and not too floral

Let me know what you think of this, now or later

2) My posts are all written in a particular style. As a result, this blog is perhaps a bit monotonous. Therefore I will introduce content from other sites from time to time in the future.

No comments: